Jellyfish are chiefly free-swimming marine animals consisting of umbrella-shaped bells and trailing tentacles. They are found throughout the world, from surface waters to the deep sea. There are several species of this animal that are considered to be suitable for human consumption and are also used as an ingredient in many dishes.
Generally said to be flavourless but crunchy, comestible jellyfish are consumed in numerous East and Southeast Asian countries. It is frequently processed into a dried product which can be used to create quite a lot of dishes. Some of them include salads, sushi, noodle dishes and main courses. In this recipe we will be looking specifically at the Chinese Sesame jellyfish salad delicacy.
Jellyfish contain low calories yet are known to be high in protein, antioxidants, and some minerals, mainly choline and selenium.
Origin & Cultural Significance
Jellyfish are known to have existed for at least 500 million years or more. This makes them the oldest multi-organ animal group. In China, several species of this sea animal have been used as an aphrodisiac, a source of food, and an ingredient in many dishes for more than 1,700 years now.
Apart from China, jellyfish are also consumed in Burma, Indonesia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, the Philippines, Thailand and many more countries. However, there are many different preparation methods for it depending on the country. From jellyfish salad and jellyfish sushi to jellyfish noodles and jellyfish ice cream, one can find many different recipes to prepare this delicacy.
- Ready-to-eat shredded jellyfish – 9 oz.
- Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
- Low-sodium soy sauce – 2 tsp
- Rice vinegar – 2 tsp
- White sugar, or to taste – 1 tsp
- Chilli oil, or to taste (optional) - ¼ tsp
- Grated fresh ginger root, or to taste – 1 tsp
- White sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Chopped fresh cilantro – 2 tbsp
- Thinly sliced green onion – 2 tbsp
- Begin by taking the jellyfish and rinsing it. Once done, drain it and transfer it to a bowl.
- Now, take a small bowl and add sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, chilli oil, and ginger. Whisk all the ingredients together and add the prepared mixture to the jellyfish. Leave it to marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Next, take a dry skillet and add sesame seeds to it. Toast it over a medium-low flame and wait until it turns golden. This should take you about 1 minute. Keep it aside to cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and green onions to the jellyfish combination. You can also add other ingredients of your choice to your salad. For example, grated carrots, ribbons of cucumber and crushed peanuts. Lastly, sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the salad and there you have it. Your jellyfish salad is ready to be served.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 6756mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g