Travelling through Argentina it’s not difficult to be able find and eat fried calf or bulls testicles (criadillas), served with salsa. Fancy trying that?
“Criadillas” are fried bulls testicles, eaten predominantly in regions where bullfighting is popular and often by the victorious matador as a sign of strength.
Criadillas are made by chopping up the testicles, covering in a bread crumb mix with a few modest spices, and deep fat frying in order to make them in to those delicious looking fries.
If you were to look for them in a butchers you’ll find them looking like this:
Simply order a few raw criadillas and try them with this (actually rather delicious) bulls testicle recipe.
- 1 lb Bulls testicles
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
- Filet the criadillas using a sharp knife. Remove the skin and cut each testicle into 4, length-ways.
- Bring a salted large pot of water to the boil and place the criadillas into the pot. Cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whilst your criadillas are cooking, in a separate bowl combine the breadcrumbs with garlic, thyme, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Remove the criadillas from the pan and pat dry, leaving for around 5 minutes.
- Fill a frying pan with enough oil to shallow fry and pre-heat.
- Crack an egg in to a separate bowl and whisk briefly. Now dip each of your criadillas into the egg and then into the breadcrumb mix.
- Once they are all coated, pop them into the frying pan for around 3 minutes or until they float to the surface.
- Take them out of the pan and serve with salsa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 503Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 1279mgSodium: 793mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 55g
Watch Cooking Deep Fried Beef Testicles Video
Check out this deep fried beef testicles recipe for more inspiration!