Brazilian Buchada de Bode (Goat’s intestines) Recipe
Buchada de Bode is a Brazilian recipe that utilises the intestines of a kid goat, cooked and served in the goat’s stomach.
Buchada de Bode is most typically eaten in the North East of Brazil where it is considered a dish of national pride.
Much like haggis in Scotland, Buchada de Bode utilises the stomach to dish the meat into before cooking off.
- Goat intestines (liver, lungs, kidney - make sure to keep the stomach)
- Bacon - 300g
- Bell pepper - 1
- Limes - 4
- Onions - 4
- Bay leaf - 1
- Vinegar - 1 cup
- Garlic - 5 cloves
- Cilantro sauce
- Olive oil
- Mint - 2 sprigs
- Paprika - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- First prepare the meat by washing under cold water, you should have a liver, a lung and a kidney.
- Next put the meat into a vacuum pack bag, making sure it is tight and sealed.
- Prepare a large pot of boiling water and place the bag in the pot, cooking for around 2 hours.
- About 10 minutes before your meat is ready, fry the chopped onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Now take your meat out of the water, setting aside the water for later.
- Mince the meat, adding to a bowl ready to mix with your herbs and spices.
- Add in the paprika, mint, vinegar, garlic, coriander, onion, bay leaf, bell pepper and bacon and mix well.
- Now take the goat's stomach and start spooning the mixture in until it is about 1/2 full. It will swell when you cook it so make sure there is enough room to account for this.
- Tie the stomach shut with string and cut off any loose ends with scissors.
- Pierce several times with a needle (otherwise it could explode during cooking).
- Now pop back into your pot of water, making sure that it is fully immersed, simmer for 2 hours. If the water boils out during cooking, just top it up with more.
- After 2 hours you can take it out of the pot and it's ready to serve. Serve with boiled rice and beans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 856Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 44gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1657mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 51g
Watch: Making Buchada de Bode
If you ever find yourself in Brazil and looking to try something adventurous, Buchada de Bode is certainly a great contender.
But if you can get hold of the ingredients then this recipe and video should be more than enough to enable you to make it yourself at home!