Perkedel are Indonesian meat and vegetable fritters, also containing fresh herbs like green onions and spices. The meat is usually minced beef or corned beef. The fritter is shaped and dipped into an egg mix then fried until golden. Perkedel is eaten as a side dish or a snack, accompanied by some sort of dip.
The most popular fritter is Perkedel Ketang which is made using potatoes. Its preparation requires an extra step since unlike other fritters, it does not use raw or boiled potaoes. To make Perkedel Ketang, potatoes are cut into chunks then deep fried and crushed before mixing with the other ingredients. It is then fried again.
Other variations are Perkedel Jagung, which is made with corn instead of potatoes. Perkedel Tahu is made with tofu while Perkedel Tempe uses fermented soybeans. Perkedel Ikan utilizes fish such as mackerel or tuna and Perkedel Kepiting is made with crab meat but may also contain potatoes.
Origins & Cultural Significance
Indonesian perkedel is believed to be related to the Dutch dish frikadel which is a pan fried meatball (not to be confused with frikandel which is a sausage dish). In the 17th century, the Dutch established themselves in Indonesia due to the spice trade eventually leading to the colonization of Indonesia which lasted several hundred years.
This would leave lasting cultural exchanges such as a food fusion between the two countries called Indo-Dutch cuisine.
- Potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges) - 2.2 lbs
- Ground beef - 9 oz.
- Salt - 1 ½ tsp
- Ground pepper - 1 ½ tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Nutmeg - ½ tsp
- Shallot (deep fried) - ¼ cup
- Scallions (finely chopped) - ¼ cup
- Eggs (lightly beaten) - 2
- Oil - for deep frying
- Prepare a pot of oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the potato wedges until golden
- Set aside over a wire rack or towels to drain the excess oil.
- Mix the ground beef with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in another frying pan and fry the ground beef until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Transfer the potatoes into a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork or masher until smooth.
- Add the cooked ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, sugar, nutmeg, fried shallots and scallions.
- Stir and mix until uniform and gather into a ball.
- Divide the mixture into 16 portions and shape into patties.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Prepare a pot for deep frying.
- Dip the potato patties in lightly beaten egg to coat and deep fry until golden brown.
- Drain to remove the excess oil before serving
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
Nutrition is provided and calculated by Nutritionix. It is for general information purposes and is only a rough estimation.