Pink Milk is a famous pink-coloured drink found on the streets of Thailand. Also known as Nom Yen, Pinky Milk, or Nom Chompoo, the drink resembles your regular strawberry milkshake. However, the ingredients are quite different. Pink milk is flavored with sala syrup and there are many other variations all over the world.
Pink milk goes well with Miang Kham and Thai Spring rolls as a refreshing drink on a hot day.
Origin & Cultural Significance
Nom means milk and Yen refers to ice. Pink milk or Nom Yen is a Thai drink that does not require too many ingredients. It is quite popular throughout Thailand as it does not have too many ingredients and they are all easily accessible.
The key ingredient in the pink milk is Sala Syrup. It is bright red in color and takes inspiration from the palm fruit found in South East Asia.
In just five minutes, you can prepare the pink milk drink and even turn it into a fancy beverage with some toppings.
- Hale's Blue Boy Sala Syrup - 2 tbsp
- Fresh milk - 120 ml
- Condensed milk - 2 tsp
- Hot water (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Evaporated milk (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Crushed ice
- Pour milk in a mixing jug and add some sala flavoured syrup into it. You can also add evaporated milk + hot water in case you are not using fresh milk.
- Mix both the ingredients using a spoon and taste it to adjust the sweetness.
- You can add as much syrup and milk as per your liking. The milk mixture should taste the way you like it. Sala syrup gives flavour and the famous 'pink' color to the milk.
- Fill three cups with pink milk and add crushed ice.
- Drizzle the evaporated milk into each of the cups and serve it to your guests. In case you do not want the drink to be too sweet, skip the condensed milk. Top it up with some whipped cream and candied cherry to give it a fancy look or serve in a frosted glass.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 39mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g