Revuelto Gramajo is a typical Argentinian and Uruguayan hash dish prepared using fried julienned potatoes, ham and scrambled eggs. Other ingredients that people are often seen using include peas, other fresh vegetables, fish, pork and other meats. Occasionally, French fries are also used as an ingredient.
This Argentinian delicacy is commonly consumed in Buenos Aires and has been labelled as one of the city’s “quintessential” dishes.
Origin & Cultural Significance
The name “revuelto Gramajo” translates to “Gramajo scramble”. There isn’t much information about how this dish was originally created. However, it is said that this dish might have been invented somewhere around 1900 by a person named Gramajo.
- Yukon potatoes - 2
- Vegetable oil - 4 cups
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Yellow onion (sliced) - 1
- Garlic (minced) – 1 clove
- Smoked country ham (chopped) - 1/2 cup
- Green peas (cooked) - 1/3 cup
- Eggs (beaten) - 5
- Green onions (thinly sliced) - 1/2 cup
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Start by washing and peeling the potatoes. Once done, slice them lengthwise into approximately ¼ inch thick rounds. Cut every slice lengthwise into matchsticks.
- Fill a bowl halfway with water. Now, transfer the sliced potatoes to the bowl and allow them to sit for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, drain the water and, using paper towels, dry them.
- Next, take a Dutch oven (or any other deep pot) and heat oil in it. Make sure the oil is heated over a medium to high flame for approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes in the pot and fry for 20 minutes. Allow them to cook till they are brown in colour and are crispy in texture. Remember to stir at least once or twice. Once done, take the potatoes out from the oil and place them over paper towels in a container.
- Now, take a large skillet and heat olive oil in it. Throw in the onion and garlic and let them cook until they turn translucent.
- After the onion and garlic have been sautéed, add the ham and peas. Add salt and pepper to the mixture according to your taste and mix all the ingredients well.
- It’s time to add the freshly prepared fried potatoes to the mixture and also throw in the beaten eggs. Stir well and let the ingredients cook for about 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat while continuing to mix all of the ingredients until everything is covered with egg.
- The traditional scramble is believed to be moist. Hence, to achieve this texture, it is recommended to remove the pan from the heat after approximately a minute of adding the eggs. The eggs will keep cooking because of the heat released by the potatoes and vegetables and, at the same time, it will ensure that they don’t over dry.
- Top the dish off by adding some green onions, combining well with the other ingredients. Serve immediately and you're done. Your delicious revuelto gramajo is ready to be consumed!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1261Total Fat: 132gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 115gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g