Mulitas are a traditional Mexican sandwich of two thick tortillas filled with savoury fillings. It is one of the most popular dishes in Mexico and throughout the world.
Mulitas are similar to quesadillas except that they use two tortillas with filling in between them, whereas a quesadilla is folded over.
In English, the word Mulitas means ‘a little donkey’. This dish is named mulitas as the tortillas are stuffed like the saddle bags of a donkey!
Here we present to you a super simple recipe of amazingly delicious mulitas.
- Homemade corn tortillas - 8
- Mozzarella cheese (shredded) - 1 cup
- Queso fresco cheese (crumbled) - 1 cup
- Guacamole - 1 cup
- Beef steak (cooked and cut into thin slices) - 1 pound
- Onion (peeled and sliced) - 1
- Garlic cloves (peeled and sliced) - 2
- Ground cumin - 1 ½ tsp
- Red chilli flakes - 2 tsp
- Whole orange - 1
- Whole lime - 1
- Sour cream - 2-3 tbsp
For the tortillas:
- Masa harina - 1 ½ cup
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Crushed jalapeno flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Olive oil - 4 tbsp
- Warm water - 1 cup
For the guacamole:
- Avocado - 2
- Onion (finely sliced) - 1
- Cilantro (finely chopped) - 2 tbsp
- Lime juice
- Salt - to taste
For the tortillas:
- Take a medium sized bowl and add masa harina, salt, cumin, jalapeno flakes, and garlic powder in it. Use your hands to form a soft dough by adding warm water in it gradually. If the dough seems crumbly, add in some oil and more water.
- Once the dough is soft, divide it into 8 equal balls. Cover the balls with a plastic sheet and let it rest for 30mins.
- When the balls are ready, preheat a heavy griddle pan for about 5-7minutes.
- Press each masa ball with a tortilla press and transfer it to the hot griddle pan.
- Cook until the tortilla releases and can be easily turned. This may take around 2minutes.
- Your delicious homemade tortillas are ready.
For the Steak:
- Take a platter and place thin slices of beef steaks on it. Sprinkle salt on both sides of the steak evenly.
- Now take a medium sized pot or skillet and add 2tbsp of oil in it. Let it heat over medium to high speed until the oil starts to glisten. Gradually add in the thin slices of steak and allow them to sear from both the sides until they are crispy golden brown. This may take around a minute. Remove the steaks and set them aside.
- In the same pot, add half of the onion and cook until it gets translucent in about 3-5minutes. Now add the garlic cloves, chilli powder, ground cumin, black pepper and mix well. Let it cook for around a minute more.
- Add the steaks back in the pot. Now squeeze the lime and orange over the meat. Add enough water so that your meat gets covered with water and turn the heat to medium-high until it reaches a simmer. Gradually bring the heat down to medium-low once it is at a simmer.
- Let it cook uncovered for around 2 hrs.
- Your steaks are ready once they are easily shreddable.
For the Guacamole:
- Take the avocados in a bowl and mash them finely. Add onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mix all of the ingredients, guacamole is ready.
- Take a medium sized skillet and add 1tsp of olive oil in it. Allow it to heat at a medium-low heat.
- Once it gets warm, place 1 tortilla and sprinkle it with a handful of shredded cheese all over. Let it cook until the cheese melts. This may take around a minute.
- Now place a few tablespoons of shredded steaks on top of the cheesy tortilla. Also add some guacamole in it and cover it with another tortilla. Cook this cheesy sandwich for a minute until the tortilla on the top gets warm and slightly brown too.
- Remove it from the skillet and set it in a nice serving platter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 826Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 734mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 36g
Your delicious and yummy cheesy mulitas is ready to be served. Garnish it with cilantro and onion and sprinkle Queso fresco on top of it. Add a dollop of sour cream on top of it to enhance the taste of this creamy cheesy delight.
Serve it with mint margarita and enjoy!