Conchiglie is a seashell-shaped pasta known well for its design and form to hold sauces. It is made from Durum wheat flour and has different colour varieties where squid ink or tomato or spinach extract was used to colourize the pasta.
Origin & Cultural Significance
Conchiglia, an Italian word for seashell, is where the term conchiglie is derived from. This type of pasta first originated in Italy and was popular among the people in Southern Italy.
It is in the Naples area of Gragnano, where most special types of pasta are invented, said to be the place where Conchiglie was most likely developed.
This dish comes in three different sizes from smallest to biggest; the conchigliette is traditionally used in soups; the conchiglie, which is best paired with thick sauces; and the conchiglioni, which is used more for baking and stuffing.
- Flour - 1 and ½ cups
- Large egg (beaten) - 1pc.
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Cold water - 1 tbsp.
- Conchiglie (cooked) - 400g
- Canned tomato (chopped) - 1 can
- Red bell pepper (chopped) - ½ pc
- Onion (finely chopped) - 1 pc
- Garlic cloves (crushed) - 2
- Dry basil - 1 pinch
- Chili flakes - 1 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Conchiglie pasta from scratch
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the salt and 1 cup flour. Form a small well between the flour mixture using your hands.
- In the middle of the well, pour over the beaten egg and the water. Slowly mix the flour mixture and the egg and water mixture together with your hands to form a dough.
- On a countertop, lightly spread the remaining flour. Remove the dough from the bowl and start kneading it for about 5 minutes on the working surface.
Conchiglie Pasta in Tomato Sauce
- In a heated pan, put the extra virgin olive oil. Saute the chopped onion gently for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, red bell pepper, salt and chilli flakes. Let it cook for another 3 minutes.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes onto the pan with a splash of water. Put the dry basil and let it simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes and allow to cook.
- Add the cooked conchiglie pasta to the sauce with 2 tbsp cooking water. Gently toss and mix together then serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 801mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g