Silpancho is a widely consumed Bolivian dish that consists of multiple layers. The first layer is white rice, the second is boiled and sliced potatoes, the third is a thin layer of minced meat and then the final layer is chopped tomatoes. It is typically topped with a fried egg and a mix of onion, beets and parsley.
As well as Bolivia, silpancho is also found in Bolivian restaurants throughout Europe and the United States.
Origin & Cultural Significance
Silpancho was originally known to be from the city of Cochabamba in central Bolivia, created in the middle of the last century. The credit for the invention of Silpancho is given to the cook Celia la Fuente Peredo.
- White rice - 1 cup
- Idaho potatoes (peeled) - 2
- Ground beef - 16 oz.
- Roma tomatoes (chopped) - 3
- Red onion (chopped) - ½
- Parsley (chopped) - ¼ cup
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Oil (for frying)
- Bread crumbs (plain) - 1 cup
- Eggs - 6
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Paprika - ½ tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - ⅓ tsp
- Begin by peeling the two potatoes and transferring them to a vessel of boiling water. Allow the potatoes to boil until they become soft. Make sure to not overcook them to the point where they start to fall apart if poked with a fork.
- Once done, take the potatoes out of the water and let them cool in the refrigerator.
- The next step is to cook the rice as per the instructions given on the bag.
- Take a bowl and add chopped red onions, Roma tomatoes, parsley, olive oil and vinegar to it. Combine all the ingredients well and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix ground meat with garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin and black pepper.
- Now, take a frying pan and add sufficient oil to create a layer across the pan about ¼ of an inch thick. Heat the oil.
- Meanwhile, take a small bowl and crack two eggs into it. Whisk the eggs well. Transfer the bread crumbs into a different bowl.
- It's time to shape the seasoned meat into four thin patties. Now, first dip them in the whisked egg, and then in the crumbs. Take a rolling pin and roll the meat patties as flat as you can. Lastly, add the patties to the hot oil and fry them until they are done. It might take you about 2-3 minutes on every side.
- Now, take the potatoes out of the fridge. Cut them into thin rounds and fry them in the oil as well. Keep frying until they start to brown. It should take you around 5-6 minutes on every side.
- Lastly, take a frying pan and cook the rest of the four eggs over-easy so that the whites are properly cooked but the yolk is liquid.
- To assemble the dish, make a bed of rice on the bottom surface. Place the fried patties over the rice. Next, place the fried potatoes around the plate. Add the salsa on top of the rice and potatoes. To finish, place the fried eggs on top. Serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 772Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 380mgSodium: 1008mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g