Einspänner is one of the most famous coffees of Vienna, Austria. It comes in two shots of espresso topped with lots and lots of whipped cream.
You can enjoy Einspänner as is or top it with chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.
Origin & Cultural Significance
When traveling to Vienna you need to take note that Austrians take their coffee very seriously. For them, coffee is a form of art and is a big part of their history.
One of the classic Viennese coffees in Austria is the Einspänner. It is called a ‘classic’ as Vienesse coffee houses have served Einspänner for decades.
Einspänner is a drink named after one-horse-drawn carriage or single-horse carriage, which were the taxis of the past. It is a driving system that requires only one hand to drive the carriage, while the other is free to hold a coffee.
Allegedly, the cream on top of the hot coffee acts as an insulator to keep the coffee warm and avoid spillage. Because of that, many coachmen love getting themselves this coffee.
Einspänner is easy to prepare. With just a few ingredients at hand, you will be able to enjoy a nice glass of Einspänner even in your home.
To start, you need two shots of espresso or a strong, freshly brewed coffee. Place it on a handled glass. For the whipped cream, prepare ¼ cup of heavy cream in a bowl. Whip until stiff peaks start to form.
Once done, pour or pipe the whipped cream over the coffee. Fill it until the rim of the glass.
You can drink it as is. Others would top it with chocolate shavings, icing sugar, or cocoa powder, depending on their preference.
It is said that Einspänner is more or less like a cappuccino. However, Einspänner uses whipped cream instead of using frothed milk.
Serving Einspänner is also different. Usually, it is served with a handled glass than a mug.
When drinking Einspänner, the whipped cream is not typically stirred with the coffee. Instead, the coffee should be sipped through the whipped cream, which helps to keep the coffee warm.
- Hot Espresso or strongly brewed coffee - ¼ cup or two shots
- Water - 2 tbsp
- Heavy cream - ¼ cup
- Sugar to taste
- Chocolate shaving or cocoa powder for garnish (optional)
- Place the hot coffee on a serving glass and add sugar if desired. Stir in a little until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. You can use a hand mixer or mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Gently pour or pipe the whipped cream on top of the espresso. Typically, the ratio of coffee to whipped cream in an Einspanner is 1:1. However, you can still add more whipped cream, depending on your preference.
- Sprinkle chocolate shavings or cocoa powder on top of the cream, if desired. Serve immediately.