Timbits are bite-sized, sweet Canadian dough balls which are prepared using sweetened dough. The dough is then fried and covered with frosting or powdered sugar. Generally, spherical in shape, these small balls of dough are sold at the famous Canadian-based franchise Tim Hortons.
Also known as doughnut holes, timbits are usually served at breakfast or snack time, and are often consumed with a hot drink. Having a compact texture compared to a traditional donut, timbits can also be stuffed with strawberry jam, chocolate spread, or custard.
Origin & Cultural Significance
It was in 1976 that timbits were first launched by the famous Canadian restaurant chain, Tim Hortons. Since then, they have been sold throughout North America. In Dunkin’ Donuts, they are sold under the name munchkins.
Ever since Tim Hortons launched timbits, they have become hugely popular. They are also considered to be one of Tim Hortons’ signature delicacies and a trademark of the Tim Hortons restaurant chain.
Canadian Timbits Recipe
- All-purpose flour (sifted) - 4 cups
- Caster sugar - 4 tbsp
- Baking powder - 2 tbsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Fine salt - 1 tsp
- Freshly grated nutmeg - ½ tsp
- Eggs (beaten) - 2
- Whole milk - 300 ml (at 97 F / 36°C)
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Unsalted butter - 6 tbsp (melted and lukewarm)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Sugar or icing sugar - 1 cup (for the topping)
- Take a deep, heavy-bottomed pan and add enough oil in it for frying. Place it over low to medium flame and let it start heating. Heat until the oil attains a temperature of approximately 350 F (175˚C).
- In order for the oil to maintain the temperature between 340 F and 350 F (170˚C and 175˚C), you can lower the flame.
- Meanwhile, take a bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and nutmeg and combine well.
- Now, take a measuring glass and add milk, eggs and vanilla extract in it. Whisk all the ingredients properly.
- Start kneading the prepared flour mixture using the dough hook and gradually pour the prepared milk mixture into it. Make sure to mix for at least 30 seconds.
- After adding the milk mixture and combining the ingredients properly, add melted butter and salt to the prepared dough. Remember to knead for at least 3 minutes at high speed. Make sure that by the end of it, the dough achieves a homogeneous and thick consistency. Keep in mind to not knead for very long to attain extra soft timbits.
- At an appropriate temperature, take the portions of dough(using 2 tablespoons) and dip them in hot oil.
- Keep in mind to not put excess dough all at once and instead do it in batches. Fry approximately for 2 minutes on each side.
- Using a skimmer, transfer the timbits from oil to a cooling rack. Remember to line the cooling rack with paper towels first.
- Take a deep plate and add enough sugar for the donuts to roll in it. Make sure to coat them properly.
- Again, transfer the prepared timbits to a cooling rack and your snack is absolutely ready to be eaten!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g