Tripleta is a traditional Puerto Rican sandwich consisting of layers of three types of marinated meat: lechon pork, ham and grilled steak, in a fresh loaf of bread. A tripleta sandwich typically contains toppings such as fries, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and sauces including ketchup and mayonnaise.
A Tripleta is known for its large size, which is typically big enough for two people to easily feed on. It is similar to the famous Cuban Sandwich.
History & Cultural Significance
The name Tripleta is a reflection of the three different kinds of meat (grilled steak, lechon pork, and ham) used in the preparation.
Tripleta uses a special kind of Puerto Rican condiment called mayo-kechu. Mayo-kechu is basically a mayonnaise and ketchup spread that is typical of Puerto Rican cuisine.
- Chicken breast - 1
- Boneless pork chop - 1
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 tbsp (more to taste if needed)
- 10" - 12” French baguette - 1
- Smoked ham - 3 slices
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Gouda cheese - 3 slices
- Fresh parsley (chopped) - 1 tbsp
- Tomato (sliced) - 1
- Mayo-Kechu Spread (mixture of 1/4 cup of mustard, 1/2 cup of ketchup and 3/4 cup of mayo)
- First, take a bowl and add the chicken and pork to it. Add salt, olive oil, parsley, pepper, cumin, and Worcestershire sauce. Properly season the chicken and pork. Once done, cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator or about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take an electric skillet and heat it to 350ºF. Place the chicken and the pork in it and cook properly. Make sure to flip the chicken and the pork halfway through until they’re completely cooked. This might take around 10-15 minutes.
- If you don’t have an electric skillet, you can use a frying pan instead. Over medium flame, fry the chicken and the pork.
- Cut the chicken and pork into small pieces.
- Once done, take a medium-sized bowl and transfer the chicken-pork pieces in it. Pour a little more Worcestershire sauce over it. This will help enhance the flavor of the meat.
- Next, take the French baguette and slice it open. Add some mayo-ketchu spread on the bread.
- Place the smoked ham slices at the bottom and add the gouda cheese, tomato chicken and pork pieces and lettuce. Assemble them properly and cut the baguette into two equal halves. Your sandwich is ready to be served!
- You can also grill the sandwich if you want to, depending upon your own preference. Serve with chips and you’re good to go!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 858Total Fat: 39gSodium: 1699mgCarbohydrates: 69gSugar: 5gProtein: 55g