Nalesniki is a traditional dessert which originates in Poland. Literally meaning “thin pancakes”, this sweet delight is very popular in Polish cuisine.
Although it is commonly used in breakfast, it can be consumed at any time of the day, more commonly in cold weather.
Types of Naleśniki
Naleśniki is commonly made worldwide with 2 variations i.e. sweet Naleśniki and savoury Naleśniki.
In the sweeter version of Naleśniki, the pancakes are filled with jams, fruits, berries and other sweet fillings like Nutella. Whereas the savoury Naleśniki are filled with meat, cheese, ham or mushrooms, etc.
Evidence suggests that some sort of pancake-like dessert existed in ancient Greece and Rome, as well as China in the 4th century, BC. The pancakes that are used in today’s world, were initially invented in Florence.
Catherine de Medici, a noble Italian woman, who became the queen of France after marrying the king- Henry II, brought this amazing dessert to France in the 16th century.
The pancakes that were first made in Poland were named “nalewac maslanka” after two polish words, i.e. “nalewac” which means to pour and “maslanka” which means buttermilk.
This delicacy was sour and was made with buttermilk and cream but with time it was modified to the present day crepe pancakes, Naleśniki.
- All-purpose flour - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Luke warm water - ¾ cup
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Pinch of salt
- Oil or butter - for frying
- Cranberry fruit cocktail – 1 tin
- Take a large bowl. Add flour, milk, water, sugar and salt in it. Beat these ingredients with a beater. As the batter gets smooth, add oil and eggs one by one and beat again until a polished and lump-free batter is formed.
- Now take a frying pan and grease it with oil. You can also use butter in place of oil.
- Heat the frying pan at a medium heat and then pour the batter slowly in it. Swirl the pan in order to spread the batter evenly. Let it cook for around 3-4 minutes.
- Once the pancake is dried up from the top and starts pulling away from the sides, turn it over and allow it to cook from the other side as well. This may take around 2-3 minutes. Your mouth-watering pancake is ready to be served.
- Now spread Nutella over the pancake evenly. Layer it with fruits and berries of your choice. Garnish with chocolate chips and whipped cream if you would like to make it more appealing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
So get started and make these delicious Naleśniki pancakes to enjoy the burst of flavour from the “land of milk and honey”. They are not just easy to make but serve to satisfy the sweet tooth of both kids and adults alike.