Haitian spaghetti, also known as spageti, is a popular Haitian dish which typically includes spaghetti noodles, onions, peppers and a tomato-based sauce. The sauce is seasoned with a variety of spices, and is often served with fried plantains or bread on the side.
The dish is a fusion of Italian and Haitian flavors and has become a beloved breakfast dish across the country.
Origin & Cultural Significance
The history of Haitian spaghetti can be traced back to the early 20th century when Italian immigrants began to settle in Haiti. Over time, Haitians began to incorporate spaghetti into their own cuisine and Haitian spaghetti has since evolved into a unique and flavorful dish, distinct from traditional Italian styles of cooking.
One popular variation of Haitian spaghetti is to add chopped up hot dogs to the sauce. Alternative variations of the dish may add shrimp or chicken for added protein.
Haitian spaghetti is often served as a breakfast dish but is also popular as a street food and can be found at many food stands and restaurants across the country.
- Spaghetti - 1 lb
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion (diced) - 1
- Green bell pepper (diced) - 1
- Garlic cloves (minced) - 2
- Tomato sauce - 2 cups
- Dried thyme - 1 tsp
- Dried parsley - 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Hot dogs (sliced) - 6
- Fried plantains or bread - for serving
- Boil a pot of water and cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package instructions. Drain the spaghetti and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, green bell pepper, and minced garlic to the skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, dried thyme, dried parsley, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the slices of hot dogs to the sauce and let the mixture simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet and toss with the sauce until they are coated evenly.
- Serve the Haitian spaghetti hot with fried plantains or bread on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g