Carne con papas is a slow-cooked Cuban beef stew containing potatoes, made with a variety of herbs and spices, giving it a rich and savory flavor.
Carne con papas can be made with a variety of vegetables. Popular additions are onions and peppers, adding extra texture and flavor to the stew.
Origin & Cultural Significance
The origin of this dish is not entirely clear, but it is believed to have originated in Cuba and been influenced by the Spanish and African cultures. Like many traditional dishes, carne con papas has been passed down through generations of families and is now a staple of Cuban cuisine.
Carne con papas is a hearty and filling dish that is a popular comfort food for cold winter days. It can be served with rice, beans, or crusty bread on the side.
This dish has become a favorite among those who enjoy Cuban cuisine, and it can be found on menus at Cuban restaurants around the world.
Similar dishes can be found in many different countries, for example, the spicy beef stew called Picadillo is very popular in Mexico. This is also made by slow-cooking beef and potatoes in a spiced broth.
- Beef stew meat - 2 lbs
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Onion (chopped) - 1
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Bell peppers (chopped) - 2
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika - 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1 tsp
- Potatoes - 3
- Beef broth - 2 cups
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Red wine vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped beef stew meat and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers to the pot and cook until softened, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the potatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and bay leaves to the pot and stir to combine.
- Return the beef stew meat to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the stew simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve the Cuban Carne Con Papas hot, garnished with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 686Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 225mgSodium: 1212mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 80g