Authentic Jamaican peanut porridge recipe
This authentic peanut porridge recipe has a fantastic reputation since being lofted from a modest staple of Jamaican cuisine to a culinary favourite of foodies across the planet.
Whilst exquisitely simple, peanut porridge is a breakfast dish that requires some love and attention to mimic the truly authentic Jamaican version.
What’s more is that it is a very healthy breakfast, being packed full of fibre, iron and protein, and all of the ingredients being completely vegetarian, making it popular with Rastafarians.
- Raw peanuts – 1 cup
- Oatmeal – 1 cup
- Cornmeal – 1 tbsp
- Flour – 1 tbsp
- Unsweetened condensed milk – ½ cup
- Evaporated milk – ½ cup
- Cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Nutmeg – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Water – 2 or 3 cups
- Vanilla extract – 2 drops
- Blend the peanuts in to a fine powder using a blender. You can use a sieve to filter the mix even further.
- Take out the peanut powder and then blend the oatmeal in to a similarly fine powder.
- Next combine the peanut powder, the oatmeal powder, the cornmeal and the flour in a large bowl.
- Take your measured cups of water (2 or 3 depending on how thick you want the mixture) and slowly start adding the water to the mix whilst stirring.
- Place the mixture into a pan and put on a low to medium heat whilst stirring the mixture as it heats through. The consistency should be smooth and not lumpy. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, waiting for the mixture to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, pour in the unsweetened condensed milk, the evaporated milk, the cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Serve and wait to cool before eating.
Your friends and family will love this authentic porridge recipe. Feel free to add in different flavourings to suit your own tastes.