Ensalada de pollo is a creamy chicken salad from Mexico, a popular, hearty dish to serve at parties and holidays. This salad is made with chicken, combined with chopped up vegetables and lettuce, coated with a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing.
Origin & Cultural Significance
Ensalada de pollo is served at parties and large gatherings across Mexico, from quinceañeras to birthdays. Usually served with saltine crackers to dip into the salad, or on top of a tostada. You may also see this salad served as a side dish to meatloaf or ham.
There are several variations to this recipe depending on the region of Mexico and family traditions. With some recipes adding different variations of vegetables, adjusting the dressing recipe, or adding extra ingredients like pickles or avocado.
The origin of the creamy chicken salad is believed to be traced back to the USA in the 19th century, where it was first published in 1847 in The Carolina Housewife cookbook. Similar recipes can also be found in cuisines around the world, such as the Russian Olivier salad.
- Carrots, 1 cup, peeled
- Potato - peeled & diced - 1 cup
- Chicken breasts (diced) - 3 cups
- Iceberg lettuce (diced) - 1 head
- Peas - 1 cup
- Corn - 1 cup
- Jalapeños - 2
- Mayonnaise - 1 cup
- Sour cream - ½ cup
- Mustard - 1 tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Dice the carrots and potatoes so they are bite-sized chunks.
- Bring a pan of water to boil and add the carrots and potatoes. Boil for approximately 10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and set aside to cool.
- Cook the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes, until the meat is white throughout.
- Once cool, shred the chicken into small, thin pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together the lettuce, chicken, potatoes, carrots, corn and peas.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and mustard to make the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and mix well until all of the ingredients are coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your ensalada de pollo with sliced jalapeno.
- Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 396mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 27g