Hungarian Hortobagy-style Pancakes recipe
This hortobagy-style pancakes recipe is traditional Hungarian stew stuffed pancake dish, known locally as Hortobágyi palacsinta.
Found in abundance in the beautiful capital of Budapest, one of Europe‘s greatest cities, they are essentially stuffed crepes with a delicious stew sauce.
Hortobagy pancakes consist of a beautiful meat stew which is then stuffed into a pancake before being oven baked and served with sour cream. What’s not to like?
Different types of meat can be used in this hortobagy pancakes recipe, traditionally made using veal, you can also make them using chicken, beef or pork.
Top travel tip: a solar power bank charger is absolutely essential for keeping all your devices charged whilst travelling, and it’s also great for the environment!
For the stew:
- Ground veal (can be replaced with chicken, beef or pork) – 10 ounces
- White onion – 1
- Large tomatoes – 5
- Paprika – 3 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Sour cream – 4 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
For the pancakes
- Eggs – 3
- Flour – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Dice the onions and fry in a non-stick frying pan of olive oil until soft.
- Begin adding your ground meat and cooking until brown. Add in your garlic cloves a few minutes before the meat has browned.
- Finely chop the tomato and add in to the pan with 1 cup of water, stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Next, add in your cumin, paprika and parsley and stir. Put on a low heat, cover and leave to simmer for 40 minutes or until the sauce becomes thick.
- Next you should sieve out your meat to be used for the filling, making sure to save the sauce for later.
- Once the sauce has thickened, take off the heat and stir in 2 tbsp of sour cream. Leave to settle on the side.
- Now create a batter using your eggs, flower and milk and whisking in a bowl.
- Add a small amount of oil to a pain and ladle in the batter mix, coating the pan. When the pancake starts to cook, flip it over and cook the other side then set it on a plate. Repeat this 3 more times until you have 4 pancakes.
- Now take your stewed meat and add a generous portion to the bottom half. To make a rectangle shape, tuck in the sides and the bottom before rolling over once. It should feel tightly packed in. Repeat this with your remaining pancakes.
- Place the 4 pancakes on a lightly oiled baking dish and cover with the sauce prepared earlier. Bake in the oven on a medium high heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and serve each pancake individually with a generous dollop of sour cream.
- Enjoy your hortobagy pancakes!
- The ultimate cooking set for preparing world class meals
- The greatest chocolate in the world
- These herbs and spices will turn your cooking PRO