Kapsalon is a savory multi ethnic dish from Rotterdam in the Netherlands, which comprises of fries topped with cheese, meats, sauces and salad. This takeaway dish is somewhat of the Dutch version of shawarma loaded fries.
Known to pack a staggering 1800 calories, Kapsalon is a bit of a guilty pleasure or something to gorge on after a night of drinking.
Kapsalon consists of fries loaded with doner meat, melted Gouda cheese and layers of dressings of lettuce, sambal and garlic sauce.
Origin & Cultural significance
Kapsalon was invented in 2003, when a Dutch barber got tired of eating the same meal from a shawarma joint nearby. So he decided to give it a twist and ordered a combination of his favorites thereby resulting in this assembly.
Surprisingly, the word Kapsalon means “Hairdressing salon” and since it was first invented by the barber Nathaniël Gomes, people started calling it Kapsalon and with time the name was widely popularized.
Interestingly, its inventor was of Cape Verdean origin who had ordered the dish from a shawarma store in Rotterdam.
Kapsalon comprises ingredients from various different cultures demonstrating its multicultural nature. The delicious blend of shawarma from middle-eastern culture, the hot sauce sambal of Indonesian origin and the Gouda cheese from the cheese marketplace of Netherlands results in a meal that truly represents Rotterdam, the melting pot of different cultures and its place of origin.
Want to enjoy the calorie loaded, flavorful deliciousness of fried potatoes coupled with grilled meats, sauces and salad. Then look no further, because we bring you the recipe for a spicy, extra loaded homemade version of Kapsalon.
- Chicken breasts (skinless and boneless) - 4
- Potatoes - ½ kg
- Grated Gouda cheese - 4 oz.
- Lettuce - few leaves
- Cucumber - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Red onion - 1
- Garlic sauce
- Sambal (Red chili sauce)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper - to taste
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and marinate them with the cumin, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt & pepper. Rest for 1 hour.
- Grill or bake the chicken until fully cooked
- In the meantime, prepare the vegetables by slicing them thinly and set aside.
- Then prepare the fries by cutting the potatoes and frying them in oil or using an air-fryer.
- Finally start the assembly by placing the fries at the bottom of the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the grilled chicken and arrange it on top of the fries. Then sprinkle the Gouda cheese over and bake for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Take out the baking dish from the oven and top in up with the salad, the garlic sauce and the spicy sambal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 49g
This dish can be prepared using a variety of meats so you can make it using chicken, beef, lamb or even falafel if you are looking for meatless alternatives.
The salad can also be altered based on preference. So just load up your fries with your favorites and relish in flavors of Kapsalon.
Photo credit: Amin